Site Map

Mobile Users: Use our Site Map if the menu doesn't work :)

7.08.2011

Can't decide on a gift? Leave it to the kids!

Is it me or is it easier to get our loved ones gifts after you have kids? As long as it has something to do with the kids, its the perfect gift, right? Not to say that letting the kids make the gift is any easier because on some (probably most) occasions, there has to be more effort and planning to pull this one off.

My kids are 5, 2, 2 and 10 weeks. Well, the baby doesn't help with much at this point. But he will! The three oldest ones like to make cards. I pull out that big bin of neglected scrapbooking supplies out of the closet and let them have at it. They get the markers, stamps, embossers, different papers, etc. and make a card showing off their newest skills in writing, drawing, coloring and using scissors. I always sign and date each of the cards for them (if they can't do it themselves) so it is something that we can look at over time and see how much they've improved in such a short amount of time.

I had this one really cute idea shortly after the twins were born. I printed out a poem for my Mom and Mother-in-law. Around the poem, we used finger paint to put hand prints and foot prints so Grandma and MeMaw could look back on their tiny prints. Of course, I didn't think to take a picture of them before they actually were given away. But they loved them!! I find most of my poems and quotes from The Quote Garden.

Another simple idea from the kids could be preparing a dessert or side dish, like we did for Father's Day last month. I recently started making ice cream sandwich cake and it is so easy the kids could practically make it themselves.

ICE CREAM SANDWICH CAKE
Ingredients:
Ice Cream Sandwiches (quantity depends on the size of your pan)
Cool Whip
Chocolate Sauce
Carmel Sauce
Walnuts
  1. Line the bottom of a baking dish with ice cream sandwiches.
  2. Spread a thin layer of Cool Whip on top.
  3. Lay out the rest of the ice cream sandwiches on top.
  4. Spread a good layer of Cool Whip on top.
  5. Drizzle Chocolate and Carmel Sauce on the top and Sprinkle with Walnuts.
  6. Put in the freezer to harden a little and slice it like lasagna to serve.
I want to hear your ideas. What kinds of gift ideas do you little ones help with?
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Great Idea!

    Thanks for stopping by Nifty Mom! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds sooo easy and soooo yummy!
    I have to try it! Thanks for sharing!
    I'm a new follower from the blog hop! Following on GFC and Net Blogs!
    Hope you'll hop by and visit my blog too!
    Have a great weekend!
    nancy
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from Fancy Friday blog hop, pls help our community to teach poor kids and women by following us at
    http://seemask.blogspot.com
    http://potspansandspices.blogspot.com
    http://cakes4rallOccasion.blogspot.com
    http://confessionofascrapaholic.blogspot.com
    Also follow us on FB and twitter and leave msg so we can return the favor
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ice cream sandwich idea! Looks yum! Happy Friendly Friday! Cheers!
    Stephanie~ www.goodgirlgonegreen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm a new follower from Fri Hop! Please check out my new blog http://aboutamom.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice cream sammich sounds yummy!!

    Btw, I'm following from Welcome to the Weekend and hope you'll join my Summer Blog Hop, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya! Happy Friday and thanks for stopping in today during my U Follow Me Follow U blog hop! I appreciate it.
    I'm following you and here to look around! What a great recipe idea! My kids, when they were little loved makeing Father's Day tshirs for their daddy every year.

    Thanks! SusieQTpies
    http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/07/u-follow-me-i-follow-u-friday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya! Happy Friday and thanks for stopping in today during my U Follow Me Follow U blog hop! I appreciate it.
    I'm following you and here to look around! What a great recipe idea! My kids, when they were little loved makeing Father's Day tshirs for their daddy every year.

    Thanks! SusieQTpies
    http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2011/07/u-follow-me-i-follow-u-friday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ Comments. Leave one here!